Monday, September 28, 2009
Many thanks to my friend SHEA for taking the beautiful family pic! Please go check out her facebook page for Shea Casey Photography. I would highly recommend.
Saturday, September 26, 2009
Ok, onto the real meaning of thist post:
I found it very interesting while pregnant all the well-intended comments from people about pregnancy and parenthood. Those comments came across as either POSITIVE or NEGATIVE, nothing really in the middle. You know, some would say "this will forever change your life in the best possible way" and some would chime in with "oh man, you're never gonna sleep again, have time to yourself like you did before...wait for the teen years...yada yada"
Here's the deal: I think when big changes occur you can't dwell on how life was PREVIOUSLY. Your life is how it is at the moment, not how it WAS and not how it WILL BE. Why waste time thinking about how seemingly great life used to be, by doing that- wouldn't one just miss out on all the great things of the moment?
Life is full of changes, I think of where I was just 3 years ago. Fall 2006 Chris and I were engaged getting ready to be married. We lived in a craptacular duplex in Claremore (yes, together, for like 2 months before we got married...I know, shame shame). Chris was working for a small civil engineering firm in Talala and I was at my current work place. The next year we moved into a nicer duplex, still at our same jobs. Fall 2007 I start grad school for petroleum engineering, wow- does that change things up. Spring 2008 we decided to buy a house, I'm still at my job- but Chris has resigned from his and is looking. He finds a job just before our house, phew. We move to Tulsa, Chris lands a job at APAC and we start working on the house. Fall 2008 we get 2 pups.....then..... I come home from class one night very disillusioned about life. I figure out that what I'm currently doing isn't doing it for me anymore. The answer? Start a family! Summer 2009 Emmy is born.
If you ask me, it's a tremendous amount of change in 3 years. But I don't think much about how great things "used to be". What's the point? Things are too great right now to think about the things I miss from the past. Because, really, I'm not sure I miss the past. I love right now. How could I not?
Friday, September 25, 2009
Miss Emmy started distinguishing days from nights pretty early on. Before I knew it, she was going 5 hours between feedings. Then magically, on a night not too long ago, she decided to sleep for a full 9 hours! She did this 2 nights in a row. The next night wasn't so great, but then the next night was a good sleep night again. Then.....the past two nights......it's been quite a few weeks since I've had to wake up at 2am to feed.
I woke up to the sound of Emmy sucking on her hand, I tried putting in the pacifier (or in our house, known as the PFIER)- but that didn't seem to satisfy. So I tried just holding her and rocking for a few minutes to see if she'd go back to sleep- she didn't.
I was talking to my mom last weekend about when she started all of us on rice cereal. I believe she said at 6 weeks we started with cereal in the bottle and at 3 months with a bowl and spoon.
For the mama's out there, when did you start? Did you do the whole cereal in a bottle thing, or just with the spoon?
I'm just starting to think that she's a hungry girl. Whatever it is, she has chosen a very *funny* time to start waking in the middle of the night....right when I'm gearing up to go back to work.
Wednesday, September 23, 2009
Yes- I think she is.
"I need a vacation"
Monday, September 21, 2009
We had a good and busy weekend. My mom, "Mimi", came down Thursday to keep us company, Saturday we went to Rory's birthday party, and Sunday we went to a shower for Aunt Eden (who is expecting a girl in October), stopped by claremore to visit gma and gpa S and g-gma Pat for her birthday.
playing with mimi:
chatting with Tammy at the shower:
Great Grandma Pat:
Whew, this past weekend was so busy.
Emmy's thoughts on it all: "forget tummy time, I'm ready for a nap"
Wednesday, September 16, 2009
First, and I guess only, order of business- why are there so many struggles out there? I know the ultimate answer is that "life isn't perfect". But there are A few things I really don't understand. Here's one, maybe I'll write about more later as they weigh on my heart.
INFERTILITY: why? When there are high school girls who get pregnant without even trying. When someone finds out they are pregnant and choose abortion. When it only takes one try for some couples. Why? I
ve not personally struggled with it, but from the outside looking in- it seems like infertility can just beat down a spirit.
When that 1st, 2nd, 3rd.... Round of treatments doesn't work. Why? When it makes one or both partners feel inadequate, why? I'm so grateful that conceiving was not an issue for us, but my heart just breaks for those who don't have an easy road.
When I first found out I was pregnant I felt a small amount of guilt/sadness for those who have been trying much longer than we had. Don't take it the wrong way, I was elated for our news. And it made me extremely thankful for our blessing. It also made me stop and think about my birth mother. I wish she could have experienced the feeling of elation. Now of course I don't know everything about the situation, but I can deduce the fact that finding out she was pregnant was not the best news she had ever received. I am extremely grateful though and proud of her for making the decision that she made. She gave me the greatest gift by allowing me to have the life that I have. She really gave me life twice. She is ~51 now and I hope that she is married, was able to have more children, and has a sense of my well being.
Tuesday, September 15, 2009
Sorry for the lack of GOOD pictures. My DSLR is sick right now and not writing images to the memory card. I have taken quite a few with my point and shoot, but it's just not the same. SIGH and a TEAR.
Friday, September 11, 2009
Pretty certain I started this post about 3 hours ago, they have now moved onto other activities. Chris just read "goodnight moon" to her and now onto a book called "my little miracle". And 5 minutes later, she's moved onto taking her evening bottle.
So I have this list at work that has "easy meals" on it- obviously it is of no good since I'm on leave. But I have a few "go-to" meals, here they are in no particular order.
- tex mex ravioli, www.southernliving.com
- mac 'n cheese + canned tomatoes + chopped up deli ham (sometimes I add green veggies), it really is better than it sounds
- chicken marinated in italian dressed, served with whatever is in the fridge or cupboard!
- breakfast (turkey sausage gravy, biscuits, and eggs)
What about you, any fast "go to" meals worth sharing?
Tuesday, September 8, 2009
- sleep, eat and poop
- She gained ~3lbs from birth!
- She JUST started noticing fans, which is great since we have a ceiling fan in almost every room.
- She is tracking objects and likes the toys on her play mat and bouncy/rocking chair
- Tolerates tummy time and will turn her head from side to side.
- Likes to be swaddled, but can usually find a way to get her hands and sometimes her whole arms out.
- Can be quite gassy sometimes, but it doesn't seem to bother her. Chris and I find it fairly humerous.
- Has started, in the last week, cooing. Also, I think she has given us a few intentional smiles.
- Now into size 1 diapers.
- Has grown out of most of her newborn clothes, but still can't fill out her newborn shoes.
- Has just started having an fussy time anywhere between 7-10pm.
- Will go 4-5 hours between feedings at night, she has done this almost since the day she came home from the hospital.
- Has taken a liking to spitting up.
- Still looks like her daddy.
- Took her first road trip up to my parents in KS, she did great! Slept all the way there and all the way back.
- Has completely stolen our hearts.
Sunday, September 6, 2009
- 3 day weekends
- baked lays
- my ped egg
- fun colors of nailpolish for my toes
- how my nails grew when i was pregnant
- going on walks in the evening
- currently, the weather
- vacationing in Colorado with my family
- taking pictures
- making greeting cards
- cleaning the kitchen..NOT, but it is a necessity
- my family
- Taco Bueno
- Sonic @ happy hour
- listen to calming music (Jack Johnson, Coldplay in particular)
- when Chris gets home from work before 530
- company! I get lonely and stir crazy at home
- HDTV, what a great invention....
but mostly, I love....